Monday, August 31, 2009

Christmas is here!!?!






Okay, Costco won.

Every year, starting in early August, I go on watch.


I watch and see who is going to start with the 'seasonal' decorations and sales first. For years, Walgreens always won with Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations out during the hottest month of the year. They, again, were way out in front with ghosts and goblins, and other crap that goes bump in the night. But Costco took the new prize for distance in the fact they had CHRISTMAS trees and decorations next to the sofas.



Christmas trees, that's right.

I think the theory is that as the market circles the proverbial toilet, the earlier you can open your warehouse and pull the stuff out from last year and sell them, the less of a likelihood you will be stuck with them for another year.

Actually, I like it. there is a feeling this time of year that winter is just three months away. That life might actually survive another Arizona Summer-Spring-Fall Heat-o-Rama. When Halloween is here, I actually have on a sweatshirt. Sure, I still wear shorts but I have a sweatshirt on. Oh, and I have turned off the A/C., saving thousands of millions of dollars. Plus, there is the attitude of the season. I still worry about money but its in conjunction with stuff and not having anything to do with making my water bill payment.

I guess I have to ask myself why I think twice about businesses doing this. I guess I really don't care. It just kind of amazes me and stops me to wonder about it, kind of like the fact that I learned from my kids this week about your foot being the exact length as your forearm. It's true, kick off your shoe and stick it up there next to your arm and you'll see. Weird stuff like that. But during this season, even if it is only in my brain pan, it brings a little hope. I don't feel so bad when my eyes are scalded out of my head by the driving heat as I ride my bike home from work.


So, there it is. Costco has the trees out and soon it will be the dancing Santa and those big blow up things you put in your front yard with the blower and they inflate so people have something other than your bedroom window to aim at with their "gat."

So break out the sweaters and parkas and reach for the thermal socks. Its that time of year for ho ho ho's and ha ha ha's.

Oh, you might want to pop a salt tablet or two, just in case the heat comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment