Saturday, November 21, 2009

Smells are funny


You ever notice smells? They're funny.

We can find ourself walking down a street on a spring day and we can't stop breathing in deeply through our noses, inhaling the fresh aroma of orange blossoms. Or how about a store like Macy's or some other big retailer where they have ozone generators. That's why it smells so good; they generate electricity that lights up the air.

Or the fresh smell of a baby just after a bath.

Or how about a dog? I love dog smell. Not to be mixed with dog breath.

Or fresh baked bread, or chocolate chip cookies?

Then, as you get older, smells start to, well, change.

On the up side, you bury your nose in a tall glass of red wine, or even better-a short glass of scotch.

But then there's the not so good side. Like my tennis shoes right now. Yeah, sorry, too much information. But their comfortable tennis shoes and I like them. Although the sole is coming off-again-and they kind of flap a little when I walk. I have loyalty to clothes. If you serve me well, I will wear you until you disintegrate in the washer.

Fresh baby smell-meet fresh elderly man sitting in his ripe shoe smell. Yeah, not as cute. We even take our babies and blow raspberries on the bottom of their feet to watch them giggle and laugh. You wouldn't survive doing that to me, not today, after lawn cutting. You would pass out because whatever odor is coming off of my feet right this second is displacing oxygen and you would suffocate unless the chemicals in what ever that smell is, mixes with the moisture in your lungs and you find yourself clawing your way across the carpet towards an open window, dying slowly of some chemical reaction in your lungs.

Wet dogs don't do it for me. Nope. Not at all.

How about that funky smell when you leave chicken in the kitchen trash too long in the summer? Now, there is something to compete with the shoes! I got into my son's truck the other day and he normally keeps it pretty clean but something had crawled in there and died, maybe a free range chicken from the neighborhood. I looked down and had both of my feet so it wasn't me.

Sometimes noses smell stuff that isn't there. Example: sometimes when I'm outside, I could swear I smell cigarettes. Its actually fresh air but something causes me to smell that, weird. I remember working environmental crimes years ago and one of the safety things we learned early was that if you smelled a chemical smell, and then it went away, it wasn't that it went away and you were no longer standing in the middle of some toxic fume, it was that your nose and nasal membranes got overwhelmed and they didn't smell it anymore. They stopped working. That is never a good sign.

Now how come that doesn't happen to my feet?

Sorry, I'd just thought I'd share. Go back to whatever you were doing. I have to go glue the sole back on my shoe-again.

No comments:

Post a Comment