Tuesday, May 5, 2009


As part of my second life, that of a teacher, I am finding myself sounding more and more like my parents generation. I can't say I sound like my parents because they died when I was young and never really got a chance to talk to them about anything other than daily surface stuff. But I'm guessing they would say certain things and I am finding myself saying those exact things. Such things as "Weren't you listening?" "Didn't I just say that?" "Copy the example on the board-exactly," X 3; or my favorite-"Kids music now a days."


Still, I am comfortable with the generation coming up. "Mark, how can you say that? Have you heard blah blah blah." I know what you're thinking but I really do think we'll be all right. Kids today are no different-----NO DIFFERENT than when I was growing up, except maybe more resilient. Listen, I don't like rap music. Anything that is called 'music' that I could actually do, is not music. If I can stand and hold a microphone too close to my mouth and mumble words and get a million dollars for it, I don't think is music. How is that different from someone like Bob Dylan? You can't understand him even if there is no music and you and him were the only two in the room. How about the Beatles? Huh? Now I've touched a nerve. I knew a girl in high school who, I am sure, lit a candle to them every day. Have you listened to the White Album? Charlie Manson did and apparently it told him that he was the next Jesus Christ.


You look at our gaggle of teens about ready to step out on the stage of graduation and then into the 1040 long form and you find yourself rubbing the frontal lobe of your head in worried anticipation. Nah, we'll be alright. My parents couldn't fathom why anyone, men in particular, would want to wear their hair long. My brother was cut out of his grandfather's will because he had a beard. What exactly is a 'Doobie Brother'? And wat iz txtn LOL? I look at my three kids and their friends and play the stories back of their teen years. Our girls were 'better' than our boy but none of them caused us to worry about their hearts short of them being hurt by their boyfriends or girlfriends at the time. Now, we see young men and women where children once stood-peers in the faith. I got into my sweet Jessica's car the other day and she had some head-banging music on-my Jessica the nurse! Jeannette and Travis actually know the lyrics to rap songs!


So, take rest in the knowledge that those that follow will be fine. Sure, they will face divorce, death, taxes, war, and that cross-road decision about God as they grow. Maybe our fear is that they will turn out like us? They watch us and want to emulate us. I guess we all know what that means. We better get our act together and model what we want them be like. Apparently, we're still leading the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment