Friday, July 10, 2009

A Day of Quiet--sort of


There is something about this town I want all of you to avoid. When you get here, it takes a few days to dissociate yourself with the world you came from. Once you do, you find yourself doing stuff. Weird stuff.

You become nicer.

Who the hell wants that?

You notice flowers, and mountains, and trees, and dogs (cats are carried off by the eagles). You smile more and say 'Hi' to people on the street and here's the real weird part, they say 'Hi' back!

I went into the Artisan Bakery this morning. The only baker in town. Frankly, a town this size only needs one bakery. People were smiling and told me to have a nice day. When I started to leave with my coffee refill after completing my walk around town, I smiled and said the same to them. An infection of some kind had taken over!

You find yourself walking around town, up and down the streets, wandering back alleys, looking at everything and nothing at the same time. Simplicity takes over and you find yourself admiring window curtains, lights as they glow from inside homes during dusk, the quietness of dogs sleeping on the sidewalk.

Yep, it took a couple of days, almost a week, but the infection that I get every time I come here has set in. It will carry me for a year.

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment