Saturday, June 30, 2012

Returning to a small town-Ouray week-Day one






Almost every year, about this same time, a group of us return to a small town tucked in a small corner of granite that reaches higher than some small planes can fly. I have written about this trip before, talking about the peace and quiet, the Bad Boys, Mrs. Johnson's prize roses,  or Bella's daily walks with her retired master, smoking his pipe and his wool cap pulled down tight in order to stay on when Bella scents a squirrel and jerks at her leash unexpectedly. Some businesses are here year after year; some, like the taco stand, have faded into memory. I don't come here enough, but when I am here, its as if it has been my town since birth. I want to protect it. 

I know the 4th of July is desperately necessary for the survival of this town. After Labor Day, the tourist season ends and dries up tighter than a paper towel under a broiler. I know its important to them, but I don't like the people that are needed for it to work. 

They don't understand. 

So, when we drove through the forest fire west of Durango on our way here, then found out the fireworks, as a matter of fact, all outside fires-grilling, smoking etc., was banned, and knowing these people would probably stay home and watch TV, there was a part of me that was ecstatic. Those people won't be here. When we pulled down Main Street, it was obvious tourist response was already impacting the  town. You could stand in the middle of Main Street, also known as State Route 550, without the threat of being run over. 

But there is a sadness here, everywhere in this state, as a matter of fact. Beautiful forests are burning up, never to be seen again in my grand children's life time. They say forests are a renewable resources, but not in any reasonable time frame. Moonscapes will be around for decades. 

So, stick with me this week. Pull  up a chair and ice down that knee. Get yourself a cup of coffee and read about a town I think we could all spend some quality time living in. These are a proud people, like us. They will make you laugh, maybe make you cry, but I promise, they are no different than any of us. 

Welcome to Ouray, Colorado.

Enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. I will be living vicariously through you my friend. Love your writing. Now bring on the blog posts from Ouray.
    Tell Michael & Lori, the Campbells and the Brits hello from the Thompsons.
    We love you guys a ton.

    ReplyDelete