Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Other Bucket List



There is this whole ‘bucket list’ thing people do, things they want to do before they "kick the bucket." Fun things, accomplishments, facing fears and smiling at those fears, those kind of things.

What about a bucket list of things we absolutely never want to even touch before we die? A bucket list of things that we want to avoid-at all cost. Yeah, you gotta think about that one, huh? And you can’t pick things like stomach cancers or some slow debilitating disease. We don’t have choices on those. They just show up. I’m talking about things we can or can not chose.

Like going to a hookah bar and smoke something. This was some new trend my son’s generation came up with and I hope it dies with the baggy pants. Why would I want to go put my lips on a pipe that someone else had their cankered covered lips on? And what exactly are we smoking that can beat a good $5 cigar from Tony's on Central?

I don’t want to ever be in a bar fight. At my age, I would have to cheat. I would have to do something early in the fight, some shock and awe thing, or I would die. If I missed, if I wasn't fast enough, I can’t call time out and hope they honor it. Besides, what is there to get so ramped up about that a good scotch couldn't settle?

I don’t want to ever go to a rap concert, although rap is dying out and being replaced with something else. I can tell it would be too loud and they wouldn’t have single malt scotch. They would have blended which is just wrong and everyone there would be wearing their baseball caps sideways. That just bugs me.

I don’t want to go to watch the Olympic Games, at least not pay for the tickets. If someone gave me tickets, I would probably go. The best seats are always my couch. “But it’s the Olympics,” I can hear the pleas. If I went, I would want to go to one of the minor competitions, like something between the country of Georgia and Guam. I would want to try to make them feel good about being from there.

Along those same lines, I don’t want to ever go to a Super Bowl. Still the best seats are in my house, but also no one really watches the Super Bowl except for the commercials and they don’t have those at the game. Just really expensive hot dogs.

I don’t want to go elk or deer hunting. I don’t mind others who like that, that’s fine. But I’m in this whole fairness season of my life and just think sniping an elk at three hundred yards with a bullet that makes no noise before impact is cheating. Now, I would go and even orchestrate a trip to hunt elk under the rules that you have to sneak up on them and slap a “I 
 NY” bumper sticker on its rump before it could tear me in half with his rack of antlers.  Or even paint balling one with bright orange paint.  It would be even more of a challenge if we did all this to a momma grizzly and her cub. There could be some good times there.
I don’t think I will ever vote for the State Mine Inspector. Not unless I know the person. I will always leave that box unchecked.  

Body waxing-really? Who came up with the idea of slathering on medicinal grade wax on a hairy part of your body, imbed some gauze in it, and then ripping it off once it hardens? Now, I know some men are right out of the Planet of the Apes series, but that's why they made safety razors.
This is just some ideas. You probably have your own. I am sure they will change like the wind but this isn't a bad start.

No comments:

Post a Comment