Monday, March 30, 2009


We live in a violent world. I take that back. "Violent" is an understatement and a misuse of the term in comparing it to where we are. I read, just this morning, about a man killing eight people in a nursing home, another man killing his two sisters-decapitating one just before the arriving officer could kill him, and the always present suicide bomber blowing himself up along with a bunch of police cadets in Iraq. Each, I am sure, had a logical reason in their grey matter as to why they needed to do what they did.


I had lunch today with my friend, Rick, whom I worked with years ago. Rick is still in law enforcement and responsible for the security of the Arizona Supremes--the judges, and the building they live in. When we get together, along with our dear friend, Andy, we usually talk about 1) family 2) retirement accounts 3) vacation locations and 4) violence. Rick said he wears his gun where ever he goes, even off duty. I remember when I retired, one of the biggest issues I had was NOT wearing my weapon. Being unarmed, when for decades you always were armed, took some getting use to. Today, almost a decade after I left law enforcement, I wish I could still carry my loving little Glock. Frankly, you who read this, want people like me, Rick, Andy, my little boy Travis, my two sons-in-law, walking around in the grocery next to you fully and readily armed. I'm not saying everyone needs to have a gun just those highly trained with the nightmares being armed carries. Without your knowledge, we bring harmony to the places we walk and share that harmony with, well, you. Even church today, is not a fully safe and loving place although forgiving; it is not a safe place other than the full power and capacity of God to provide that protection. Who goes to a church with an armed guard at the door? With some news accounts out, that wouldn't be such a stretch. Maybe God-this is just a thought-provides the full power of His protection, via people who don't mind walking around with sixteen hollow-point rounds of 941 feet per second of pure lovin' ready to reach out and touch Crazy Henry in between the horns before he slaughters his baby in aisle 3 at the Safeway because Jodi Foster spoke to him in a dream and told him to do so. George Orwell had a statement which I copied and put on shirts for Travis and his squad-with some minor changes-"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because there are rough men (and women) willing to do violence on their behalf." Somehow, that brings me comfort.
The world hasn't changed-ever. There wasn't a "nicer" time or a more "peaceful" time. People weren't any better off in the fifties; they just didn't talk about it. The world has had no time when man hasn't wanted to steal, rob, murder, his fellow man just for giggles. The world will never be a time or place, without God stepping in with Himself, where peace will reign. Sorry, it ain't going to happen without a God level of interdiction. We have moments of time where things are quiet and quite nice, but it doesn't last. It never has. It hasn't happened for thousands of years and it isn't about to start now. So, with that piece of wonderful, cheery news you say "Geez, Mark, that was happy. So, what is going to happen to us sheep?" Well, there is an answer.
First, you gotta understand I'm not a "God, guns, and guts" "kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out" "you can have my gun when you..." kind of guy. I am, I guess, a realist although labels are for shirts. This isn't a Republican/Democrat, pro-right/left kind of thing. I love peace. I love flowers. I like soft music and holding hands with my wife in public. I don't care for NASCAR and I don't have any guns except my service weapon. I got news; we, the collective we, aren't in trouble; we HAVE NEVER BEEN OUT of trouble. It's been a constant. Man has been messing up since the advent of the Red Delicious and ever since we have been trying to lie, cheat, steal our way back. There isn't a plan or new deal that hasn't been tried in ten different flavors. Nope, we've been treading water with no sight of shore. So, why am I so upbeat, singing high notes, dancing naked--er--dancing and smiling when all about us are high cholestorol, free-basing yahoos with a propencity for talking to people who aren't there and have high capacity magazines just aching to see how fast they can clear one to empty?
You have those little boys at the top of this piece, and those like them, who are currently standing in the gap while you and I sleep peacefully at night. You have my friends Rick, Tina, Andy, Kathleen, and old bastards like Don who haven't retired yet-and really should-old Silverbacks, still trained and ready to respond appropriately to any level of violence some loon decides to mistakenly do in their presence. You, who sleep well and love your peace, deserve to sleep well. It has been paid for and continues to be paid for, first by the Son of Man but given His heart of serving, to men and women-rough, proud, humble, reckless abandoned-type people who, without hesitation, would jump into the darkness of Hell for strangers like you. Why? Well, we can go a bunch of different ways, one of which is the simple fact that they LOVE that stuff, but I have one belief that may cause you to think. God has laid his hands on them-these few-these happy few. They have a heart unlike any other. As one old warrior said once about Travis going overseas "Oh, he's a servant." Travis' company motto was a quote from Isaiah "Send me Lord." And there are men and women, thousands-millions of them world wide answering that call. They rush in while the sheep rush out. They can't help it. They are drawn to a good fight.
Yes siree, its a violent world. Sorry, wrong verb. I can't think of one bad enough to describe it so it will have to do for now. But, if you are looking for peace, ask one of those at the top of the page. They know the true definition of that word. What about God? Oh, he's here. He loves us, He cares for each hair on our heads. He cries when we cry and believe it or not, he laughs big belly laughs when we are happy and laughing too. God loves peace; He invented it. We, if we choose well, will see peace and experience it when we roll up the carpet and go home. But until then, we get to curl up in His lap anytime we want. We are never, unless we choose to, away from Him. And no one-no one, knows this loving protection, like those that have seen the worst the world has to throw at us.
Those few, those happy few.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! so sweet. You know you are still in the fight. You may be retired from the obvious, gun-wearing kind of violence. But you are in "it" everyday. Teaching the lost high-schooler, fighting for them. Fighting for their safety. Sometimes safety from themselves and the choices they can make. You are fighting everyday for their survival! I think your 20 + years of the gun-wearing violence was training you for this fight you are in now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... well said Mark... and well said Jessica!
    What a moving and heartfelt post. I couldn't agree with you more.
    I appreciate you and your son and sons-in-law sooo much.

    ReplyDelete